Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Learning to Edit

Well, it's been awhile since an update, but I am back in Florida with lots of changes on my horizon.

My parents house that we are all living in was just listed for sale. There were two showings today and already another lined up for Saturday. We have no idea where we will go, but we're trying to prepare as best we can.

Something I have been mulling over a lot this past week as I get ready to pack is the heaviness that my earthly possessions place on me. After living in Kentucky for over a month with just the items I had packed in a few bags, I've realized how much of my stuff I don't need.

I had realized this to an extent when I packed up all of my belongings three months ago and moved into my parents house, and I threw boxes and boxes of stuff out in a garage sale, but now I see just how much of my remaining belongings are more of a burden than a blessing. They weigh me down and keep me feeling slightly suffocated almost constantly.

That's when I started thinking:

All of us have the power to decide exactly how we want to live, be exactly the kind of person we want to be, and we can change instantaneously. All it takes is a decision and a commitment.



On May 23rd I decided to lose 50 lbs, now I'm 34 pounds lighter and well on my way to my goal. On July 13th I decided I didn't want to be abused or co-dependent anymore, and now I'm learning to start a mentally and spiritually stable way of living. Mid-day on September 6th, I decided I didn't want to ignore a personal health conviction, and now I am vegan.

Now I'm deciding that I don't want my life to be consumed by the frivolous and time-consuming possessions I've accumulated and I am ruthlessly editing my life. I weeded out 20 dvd's yesterday, today I put together five boxes of stuff to get rid of at our next garage sale, and tomorrow I hope to put together at least another five.

Every book I place in one of those boxes, every piece of paper I throw away, and every item of clothing I bag, feels like one more brick being lifted from my back and one more bit of freedom that I am gaining.


This TED video fits well with my mind set:





Earlier this week, one of my friends posted something on my facebook that correlates with exactly what I've been feeling:




Isn't that phenomenal?

At any given moment you have the power to say: This is not how the story is going to end.


Each of us can make a choice that changes our entire life, and possibly the lives of many others, in ways you may never even know. How exhilarating and exciting is that??



Is there a decision in your life that you've been wanting to make, but for some reason you just keep putting off?

Well...what's stopping you?

5 comments:

Confessions of a Former Undomestic Goddess said...

Wow. Great post! You're an inspiration, Meg. I wish you well on your journey.

Also, if you can't empty that box of DVD's at the garage sale, you might want to start an Amazon trade-in account. You load them into their database, Amazon sends you a shipping label and after they're accepted, your Amazon account gets credited a gift card. They also take video games and some books.

Good luck!

Darlene Sherwood said...

Thank you for sharing this Meg. I love you more than I can express and I am soooo Proud of you!

Megan said...

I love you too, Dar! :)

aluminiumgirl said...

A powerful post. Thank you for sharing.

Vickie said...

This is a really inspiring post - I feel the same about getting rid of stuff. Corey has helped me with some of that. I love "At any given moment..."