Saturday, November 26, 2011

My Delicious Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Thanksgiving!

When you tell someone you're cooking gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free, a look of disgust on their face usually follows. I'm here to show how absolutely tasty it can be.

When added up, I probably spent at least eight hours cooking our big meal, and everything but the pies were put together between 11am-3pm on T-Day. I was more than ready to sit down and collapse into my plate by the end of my cooking spree.

Well, without further ado - here was our scrumptious Thanksgiving feast:


IMG_6820
Dairy-free mashed potatoes - just organic yukon gold potatoes, almond milk, Earth Balance vegan butter, and salt. (A huge batch so I would have plenty for leftovers in the days to come!)


IMG_6825
That bowl of green there is broccoli cranberry salad.


IMG_6853
There are many differing recipes for it online, but this one is made with organic broccoli, cranberries, onion, grapeseed veganaise, honey, almonds, and apple cider vinegar.


IMG_6867
This is my moms out-of-this-world Cranberry Orange Bourbon relish. You could it it plain with a spoon and be happy. (Just 2 cups of fresh cranberries, 1/2 an orange, 3/4 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of Makers Mark bourbon, all thrown together in the food processor)


IMG_6827
None of my family (including myself) are very big fans of turkey, but I felt compelled by tradition to cook some any way. This here is Ina Garten's recipe for Herb Roasted Turkey Breast, and while a bit dry, it tasted fabulous with that cranberry relish and homemade gravy.

IMG_6857
Speaking of gravy (in the background), I've never made any before, but it's surprisingly simple. I heated the turkey drippings from the roasting pan (which were mixed with the herbs and wine from cooking) 3 tbsp tapioca flour, and 3 cups of organic chicken broth - simmered until thickened then strained. In the foreground are Spiced Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes sprinkled with almonds. Totally delicious and much lighter than a traditional sweet potato casserole.


IMG_6829
I've never been very interested in a typical green bean casserole. I have a strong aversion to canned cream-of-anything soups because, well...I think they're disgusting. I decided to try making a "real food" version of this classic dish.



IMG_6863
This recipe is made from fresh organic green beans, a homemade almond milk-based creamy portabella mushroom sauce, and caramelized sweet onions tossed with gluten-free buttered bread crumbs. Yes. WOW.


IMG_6870
And my last three dishes:

1. A half-batch of homemade gluten-free "stove top stuffing" using this recipe, but substituted millet bread and chicken stock for the wheat bread and vegetable bouillon.
2. An egg-free corn syrup-free pecan pie with a gluten-free brown rice pie crust. Sound weird? Well, IT WAS AWESOME. I liked it better than normal pecan pie and I ate way too much of it.
3. Dairy-free Pumpkin Pie with Gluten-Free Sweet & Salty Pecan Crust - besides the crust getting a little overdone, this was fantastic. I loved the texture and salty-sweet crust.


The perfect plate - a little bit of everything :)


IMG_6837
Digging into the meal!


IMG_6833


IMG_6840


IMG_6882
It turned out the be a lovely low-key day.





IMG_6799
Thanks to my mom for making this beautiful centerpiece for the table along with the broccoli salad, roasted sweet potatoes, and cranberry relish - even though she was sick!



IMG_6817
Also thanks to my dad for slicing up the turkey breast :)


IMG_6815
As well as keeping Oliver occupied while I cooked
(he was very fascinated by the paper turkey banner I made)


IMG_6797
Just good ol' construction paper, glue sticks, and twine!



P.S. A peek at my little photo shoot with the food :)

(Apron from my sister - her shop is at StyleMeBaby.etsy.com!)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Aw, my apron! Maybe i should actually put some stuff in my shop...