Friday, March 2, 2012

Homemade Breast Milk Ice Cream Recipe

Homemade Breast Milk Ice Cream



Back in January, I was sent some white Jordan almonds from Oh! Nuts to try out. My mother and I both agreed they were, by far, the best ones we'd ever had. You know how sometimes Jordan Almonds are stale and dry and feel like rocks in your mouth? Well, these are the EXACT opposite. They have a lovely sweet and crunchy exterior, but the inside is tender and filled with only the taste of fresh almond. Purely dreamy.

I thought they would work perfectly crushed and added to an almond ice cream, so I set out to use my ice cream maker for the first time, while also using breast milk in a recipe for the very first time.


People are either really excited or really grossed out about the idea of ice cream made from breast milk. In my eyes, it's much more natural to drink milk from a fellow human, than milk from an entirely different species, so ever since I became a milk-producing mommy, I've wanted to try making a homemade ice cream from my own milk.

So here is the (very simple) recipe!


4 C breast milk
1/3 C sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/3 C crushed Jordan almonds


I followed the instructions on my Cuisanart ice cream maker and blended the milk, sugar, and extracts together for 20 minutes, then added in the crushed almonds to mix in for just the last few minutes.

It came out of the mixer with a slightly icy but creamy consistency.



After freezing it was much icier, but just as tasty :)




The verdict: Delicious, of course! I had family and several friends over to taste test it and all agreed that it was very yummy, just not as creamy as ice creams made from cows milk.


(If you ever try making a breast milk recipe, please let me know!)

3 comments:

Mrs. Cheerio said...

Wow! That is really cool/interesting... and I have to say, pretty amazing- it would have taken me a year to produce that much breastmilk!!! Also, beautiful photo.

Leche de Mujer said...

Awesome! I hope a girl will give me some breastmilk. I'd like to taste this icecream... I guess it's sweet and creamy...
lechedemujer@gmail.com

trickytv said...

I came across this blog because I googled "breast milk ice cream recipe". Ever since I have been lactating I have wanted to make stuff from my own milk. I, nor my son(17 months) tolerate dairy. He is also allergic/highly sensitive to sugar, sesame, peanuts, gluten and a gazillion other things. It being such a hot summer I am excited to make him some ice cream. I am not going to try this exact formula but am inspired all the same. I think I will sweeten mine with maple syrup and probably add vanilla as a flavouring. I am wondering if the addition of an egg may make it more "creamy" texture.

Thanks for sharing your experience.