Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Am I an adult yet?

Tomorrow I turn 27 (on the 27th!). Every year I keep waiting to feel like I've finally turned into an adult. Some days I feel more adult than others, but I haven't quite hit the mark yet. It's odd, because up until a year ago, I had started feeling so old. Not necessarily in an "I'm an adult" way, but in a depressing "this is the beginning of the end" way. The past year has been full of great changes, and the most hopeful outlook I've had in a long time. While living with my parents adds to the sense of....childishness? that I still  feel in my life, it has been wonderful to have their help and for Oliver to experience such a loving environment.

Part of this whole "becoming an adult" thing for me is coming to terms with my life. That includes starting to share little bits of what I've been through. Last night I finished a sketch I had started a few weeks ago and left to sit for awhile before picking it back up again. It's much more personal than my usual sketches, and before I posted it on my facebook last night, I nearly chickened out. There's always a sense of guilt that rises up when I start to talk about issues I went through (even just from posting this photo) but there's also a sense of "growing up" whenever I share a little bit more. 

It's in no way a ground breaking artistic piece, but it felt good to make.




As for my birthday plans, I've got things rolling with a little mini celebration with my sister on Saturday night. We went to Prime Bar and had dinner, drinks, serious talks, plus lots of laughing. The biggest plus to living in Tampa right now is getting to spend time with her. I think I've seen her more the past four months than I have in the past 10 years!

(my dinner - Amish Chicken)


(Jess!)


Right now my friend Shirlee is driving from Meritt Island to celebrate with me for the next few days. We're kicking things off with a movie and dinner at the Cinebistro tonight, then tomorrow we plan on visiting the Henry B. Plant Museum, an Irish Pub, and later on we'll have dinner at Ella's with Keith and Lance!

These are things that just wouldn't have been possible last year because of my circumstance, so I'm celebrating them all the more. It could be my best birthday yet :)


4 comments:

Lindsay Jo Design said...

Happy birthday week! :)

aluminiumgirl said...

Happy Birthday! It's already the 27th here. :) I hope you have a wonderful time celebrating.

Mrs. Cheerio said...

It's your Golden Birthday!!! I hope that this year is a wonderful year for you!

Brewier said...

You will always be our "little girl". Happy Birthday.